top of page

First Year GAA - Scoring Rampage Puts Boys Back in Business

Carndonagh CS 7-12

Colaiste Cholmcille, Ballyshannon 7-7

O'Donnell Park, Letterkenny

Our 1st year boys got their season back on track after an impressive win over their Ballyshannon counterparts. It was the boys from 'through the gap' that got off to a flyer and led 3-2 v 0-0 in the opening 10 minutes. It took Rocco McDaid taking the game by the scuff of the neck to settle the boys into the game; he scored 1-2 in 3 minutes to set the boys off on a scoring rampage. The CCS purple patch came in the final 10 minutes of the 1st half where Conor McNally, unstoppable in front of goal, got 3-1 before the break, with Hugh McGinn and Keith Callaghan chipping-in with points to add to the score. A goal for Ballyshannon towards the end kept their hopes alive and served as a warning to the boys that the game wasn't over. But CCS led 4-8 v 4-2 and that 6 point lead was never released until the end.

The 2nd half started with a bang with another goal for McNally, who finished on 4-2. Points were traded tit-for-tat as Ethan Donaghy and captain Josh Walsh got in on the act along with Callaghan getting through for another goal. Overall the game was won in the middle third with the workers breaking from the back; Jayden Gillespie, Niall O'Donnell and McGinn were instrumental in transitioning the ball. Jack McLaughlin was solid as a rock at centreback. Ballyshannon to their credit never gave up the fight, getting the final 2-3 of the match and were on for more if it wasn't for some powerful saves from keeper Shaun Farren. But it served to be too little too late and CCS held on well.

Overall it was a great team performance and there were definitely stars of the future on show. McNally, Callaghan and Gillespie had standout displays but McDaid who finished with 1-7 was the catalyst for the win and had a great man-of-the-match performance.

Next we faces Rosses CS in the final group game before the knockout stages.


bottom of page